Who needs benefits

Added: Taneeka Gallardo - Date: 28.11.2021 22:14 - Views: 32597 - Clicks: 1684

If you are looking after with a health condition or disability who is under the age of 16 years then they may be entitled to Disability Living Allowance DLA. This can Who needs benefits towards the extra costs of bringing up a disabled. DLA is not means-tested so your financial circumstances including any savings your child has will not be taken into. In addition, DLA is not taxable and does not reduce any other benefits you may be eligible for. If you are State Pension age or over, you should instead claim a benefit called Attendance Allowance. There are different rules about whether you can renew or maintain an existing award after you reach State Pension age.

You should seek further advice to establish how the rules would affect you. For under the age of 16 years to qualify for DLA, they must meet all of the following criteria:. Note : If the child is an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen and does not have indefinite leave to remain, in order to claim DLA, they must have pre-settled or settled status or, have had a right to reside on 31 December If you think that you are affected, you should act quickly and contact a local advice service for help.

Who needs benefits

The Advicelocal website has details of services local you. The Gov. You can also use the government website to search for agencies that can help you to apply The charity Settled can offer further information and guidance.

Note : If your child is terminally ill there are simpler rules which make it easier to apply — see here for further information. The care component of DLA can be paid to who needs a lot of extra help with personal care, supervision or if they need watching over. The help they need must be substantially more than the help needed by of the same age without a disability or health condition.

The lower rate care component is for children who need help in connection with their personal care for a ificant portion of the day which generally means at least an hour a day — although this does not necessarily have to be all at once. The middle rate care component is for children that have either daytime or night-time needs see explanation below. Special rules apply for some children undergoing renal dialysis at least twice per week.

The higher rate care component is for children who have both daytime and night-time needs see explanation below. Your child will automatically get the higher rate if they are terminally ill. If your child needs help getting around they may qualify for the mobility component. The lower rate mobility component can be paid to from the age of five years. It is for children who can walk but who need extra guidance or supervision on unfamiliar routes outdoors. The higher rate mobility component can be paid to from the age of three years.

It is for children who are unable, or virtually unable to walk, or where the exertion required to walk would constitute a danger to their life or would be likely to lead to a serious deterioration in their health. Children can also qualify if they have a severe visual impairment, are both deaf and blind, or are severely mentally impaired. Four Who needs benefits are taken into when deciding whether your child is virtually unable to walk. The test is whether their:. To qualify for the higher rate mobility component because of severe mental impairmentthe child has to meet all the following criteria:.

If you ask for a claim form by phone, it should be stamped with the date of issue. This is the date from which the benefit will be paid if the claim is successful, providing you return the form within six weeks. If you are not able to complete the form by this date, please let them know and seek advice. If you download the claim form or get one from a local advice agency, the claim will start from the date the completed form is received.

It's also possible to phone up for a form. It is advisable to read the form and the accompanying notes before you start to complete it. You can attach s to the application form if you think there is not enough space to explain the help that your Who needs benefits needs.

Who needs benefits

Remember to add your child's name, address and date of birth to the extra s. Special rules allow children who are terminally ill to get help quickly. is considered to be terminally ill if they have a progressive illness that is likely to limit their life expectancy to six months Who needs benefits less.

It is impossible to say exactly how long someone will live and some children who receive DLA under these rules live much longer than six months. Under these special rules your child does not have to satisfy the qualifying period ie that they must have needed care, attention or supervision for at least three months, and be likely to need this care, attention or supervision for a further six months.

They also do not have to have been present Who needs benefits Great Britain for weeks out of the last week before claiming — they only need to be present at the time of claiming. You will, however, have to complete the sections about any mobility problems your child has for them to be awarded the mobility component.

You will Who needs benefits a written decision that tells you what rates of DLA your child has been awarded and from what date. DLA can be awarded for a fixed period or for an indefinite period. If you are awarded benefit for a fixed period, the decision Who needs benefits tell you when the period ends.

A new claim form will be sent to you well before the period of your award ends. To find out more about what happens if your child is soon to turn 16 years old. You must do this before you can appeal. This is called a mandatory reconsideration and the DWP must look over all the information they have, and any new information you send them, to see if the decision they made is correct. They must then send you a new decision notice, called a Mandatory Reconsideration Notice.

It is important to challenge a decision or get advice as quickly as possible because there are time limits that generally mean you must take action within one month. If you fall outside of this time limit then it may still be possible to challenge the decision. See our talk to us for details of how to get further help. For more information you can see the ' challenging a benefit decision ' section of our website. If your child already gets DLA but they now need more help, it may be possible to get their award increased.

If you ask for a DLA award to be looked at again, there is always the risk that the award could stay the same or be decreased rather than increased. To find out about advice agencies in your area see the Advicelocal website. If your child is 16 and you ask for a DLA award to be looked at again, it is likely to instead be treated as a new claim for PIP — for more information.

DLA can be affected by your child having overnight stays away from home. There are different rules for this depending on whether your child goes into hospital or a care home. If your child is under 18 when they enter hospital, their DLA can continue to be paid for the whole time they are there. If your child is in a care home which usually includes residential schoolsgenerally payment of the care component will stop after 28 days. However, they can be paid the care component for any day they stay in your home, including the day they leave and the day they return. The mobility component is not affected by stays in a care home.

If this situation applies to your child see our talk to us for details of how to get further help. Stays your child has in a care home separated by 28 days or less are added together when working out when their DLA should stop. If your child has been awarded DLA it is always a good idea to check if you are entitled to an increase in any means-tested benefits such as Universal Credit, or tax credits that you are already getting, or if you might be entitled to any means-tested benefits that you are not currently getting. If you're already receiving any means-tested benefits or tax credits you should notify all of the offices which pay them that your child is now getting DLA.

Note : You can still get the extra amounts below in Child Tax Credit and Universal Credit even if your child is not included in your claim do to the "two child limit". Universal Credit is assessed more generously when receives DLA. This is because families will qualify for an extra disabled child addition which will increase the amount of Universal Credit they are awarded.

If your child is awarded the higher rate care component of DLA, a higher disabled child addition will increase the amount of Universal Credit even more. Similarly Child Tax Credit can be higher. It means that families will qualify for an extra disability element which will increase the amount of Child Tax Credit they are awarded.

If your child is awarded the higher rate of the care component of DLA, an enhanced disability premium will increase the amount of Income Support even more. If you get help with your housing costs through Universal Credit or Housing Benefitgetting DLA for your child may increase the amount you are awarded if you are not already getting your rent covered in full. If you do not receive any Housing Benefit but you are liable to pay rent, your child being in receipt of DLA may mean you now qualify for housing costs paid within Universal Credit.

Universal Credit and Housing Benefit are both means-tested so your income and capital will affect the amount you may receive. You can find out what benefits you are entitled to and how much you should be paid by getting an online benefit check see note below or see our talk to us for details of how to get further help. Note: You can get a benefits check online by visiting either of the following websites:. It will take about 20 minutes to complete.

These online tools are not suitable for everyone. Special rules apply to some groups of people, for example students, people under 18, people in permanent residential care, UK nationals who live abroad and people who are not British or Irish citizens.

If your child is in receipt of DLA, this will mean that you will be exempt from the benefit cap. If your child is awarded the higher rate mobility component of DLA then you may be able to apply to the Motability scheme. To find out more or apply for the scheme contact Motability. If your child is awarded the higher rate mobility component of DLA then you should qualify for a Blue Badge which will give you parking concessions.

Who needs benefits

You might also qualify for a blue badge if your child meets certain conditions. Contact your council for further information. You may be exempt from paying road tax if your child gets the higher rate mobility component of DLA. For information on how to apply see the Gov. All local councils operate schemes for disabled people to help with the cost of travel. Such help is not directly linked to whether or not your child receives DLA. In some areas, a named carer accompanying the disabled person is also entitled to free travel.

Such schemes vary from one council to another so get in contact with your local council for further information on what is available in your area. In Northern Ireland, all bus and rail transport is operated by Translink — you can contact them on 66 Contact your council or see the Transport for Scotland website for further information. Note for Scotland : Young people in Scotland will be able to continue to claim DLA as long as they remain eligible until their 18 th birthday.

They can also choose to apply to the DWP for Personal Independence Payment before reaching 18 until the Scottish Government launches child disability payments. For more information you can visit gov. The new Child Disability Payment is due to open in pilot areas for applications from 26 July Initially, this will be available in three pilot areas only and is confined to families applying for disability assistance for the first time. Families currently getting Disability Living Allowance for Children do not have to take any action.

Elsewhere in the UK, the DWP Disability and Carers service in Northern Ireland will write to the appointee of children coming up to 16 years old to explain about PIP and to check whether the child will continue to need someone to act on their behalf. It has been announced that face-to-face disability assessments for Personal Independence payments will from May Face-to-face assessments will take place alongside existing paper-based assessments, and telephone assessments will continue to take place Who needs benefits suitable.

For the latest updates, you can visit the Gov. You can also see our A-Z of changes. When the decision on their PIP claim is made, their DLA will end even if they currently have a long-term or indefinite award. This could affect other benefits that the young person, or others in their household, may receive. To satisfy the Who needs benefits and presence tests, your child must meet both the following conditions:.

If you think this applies to your child, you should seek advice. The AIRE Centre can provide advice on individual rights in Europe and can be contacted on or by at This address is being protected from spambots. If the child is under six months old, a week presence test applies until their first birthday. If they are aged months, the test is 26 weeks in the last weeks. The habitual residence test is a test to see if your child normally lives in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands, Who needs benefits Republic of Ireland or the Isle of Man.

The test will be applied if they have been living abroad. Relevant factors are where they normally live, where they expect to live in the future, their reasons for coming to this country, the length of time spent abroad before they came here, the length of time in the UK prior to the claim, and any ties they still have with the country where they have come from.

Seek further advice if you are unsure about your position or the application is turned down because you are not seen as habitually resident. To find out about advice agencies in your area, see the Advicelocal website. Remember me. Log in. No ? Forgot your password? How much is DLA worth?

Who needs benefits

email: [email protected] - phone:(471) 636-3280 x 6067

Government Benefits